RE: [Harp-L] Subject: diatonic vs. chromatic

I know I'll probably get blasted for this, but that has
never stopped me before.  So I'll go ahead and go out on
a limb - - -

I object to the implication that one must be able to "read"
music, in order to be a "serious" musician.  Who really
cares what "other people" think?  If you can make them
feel and smile when you play, do you think they are sitting
there wondering whether or not you can read music?

Is someone who does "paint-by-numbers" really an artist?
They are only putting the specified colors in the specified
locations, made up by someone else.  The art comes when
YOU decide where to put the colors, when there ARE no numbers.

Likewise, I think that "musicianship", or lack thereof, is
determined by what you play when nothing is written - - when
it comes from your own head, from your own heart, when you
are in the moment.

If you are a "classical" musician, then of course reading is
pretty much required, but I don't think that applies to the vast
majority of harp players.  You guys out there who play in blues
bands, or rock bands, or bluegrass bands,how often have you been
in a situation that required you to read music?  I certainly
have nothing *against* reading music, but I don't think that it
is the demising line determining who is a real musician.

Richard J. Smith
Wormleysburg, PA