Re: Re: [Harp-L] Barrett Soloing Workshop, Harp Learning

Your advice is okay for a few people, but not just anyone can figure out the harp by sheer luck and practice.  Should those people be doomed to fail?  No, and that's why there are books, teachers, and listservs for people who want to learn more about how to play harmonica...which I think would be just about everyone on this list, except, apparently, you.

Sure, if you're a natural talent and have no job, family, or other commitments, you can go into the woodshed and emerge a few years later as an accomplished harp player.  Maybe.  But your dismissal of techniques like overbending is simply inapplicable to anyone who wants to create something different from what the blues players of fifty years ago were playing.

Jonathan Metts