[Harp-L] Save the chromatic from possible extinction

Dear List,

Many of the great players of the past have departed. Also the audience that loved them have have departed. To bring back the past is impossible. To revitalize the chromo I think some fresh ideas are required.

1) We need new, fresh material. Any songwriters out there?

2) Amateur players who are at or near professional level need to go into the schools and play and teach. Find out what the kids are singing in the school yard and learn that stuff.
About five years ago I did just that before auditioning for "Young Audiences", a non-profit booking agency that booked talent into the schools. The kids were singing "I Believe I Can Fly". When my guitarist and I played it for the kids, the auditioning audience sang along without any prompting. I found out later that was why we were one of only two acts chosen for the upcoming season out of fifty acts auditioning. I repeat, play in the schools and do as Blackie suggests. Tell them about the instrument.

3) Improve your own level of play.If more players sound good, more people will take an interest.

4) Be realistic. Where does the chromo fit in the greater scheme of things. There is a niche audience for the chromo. It is limited, not out of disrespect for the instrument or because it needs to be renamed. The chromo has a wonderful sound and it is capable of creating many different moods. Using movies as an example, musical directors request Toots or Tommy Morgan or others because they know and understand their sound, style and capabilities. They use the chromo when it fits. At other times they use the sax, violin, keyboards etc. This in no way demeans the chromo, it simply is not as universal as other instruments for setting a particular mood. If more players achieved a higher skill level and developed their own "voice" and their own "sound", perhaps, just perhaps the chromo would receive more attention.

Of course, all of the above is just my humble opinion.

Best,
Rich Machiz