Re: Re: [Harp-L] Barrett Soloing Workshop, Harp Learning

Maintaining a healthy weight is your body's natural, equilibrium condition.
Playing harmonica well is not.  The only way to achieve the latter is
through hard work and some combination of self-discovery and external
influences.  I really don't think most people on this list are looking for
easy, quick fixes to anything.  Many of them have been playing for decades.
I've been playing for three years, and I've reached a point at which most of
the "easy" improvements have already been made, so now I'm faced with
gargantuan tasks like learning to solo, understanding chord theory,
mastering scales, and finding a great tone.  If I were the kind of guy who
could learn things from textbooks, I would go straight for the ones that are
available.

The Dave Barrett book being reviewed, which you ridiculed, was described by
the original poster as long, deep, complex, and challenging.  How can you
compare that kind of instruction, and the obvious devotion required to make
use of it, to a fad diet?  It's ridiculous.

Yes, some people (including myself at times) can become fixated on
techniques and lose sight of what those techniques are used for, to play
great music.  But you aren't going to help those people by telling them to
stop learning technique.  Help them by showing them how those techniques can
be applied.  Saying that you don't need overbends to play like Sonny Boy
means nothing if I don't care two bits about ever playing like Sonny Boy.

Jonathan Metts