From: harp-l-bounces@xxxxxxxxxx [mailto:harp-l-bounces@xxxxxxxxxx] On Behalf
Of Kevin Keith
Sent: Wednesday, October 05, 2005 8:58 PM
To: harp-l@xxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Harp-L] Dave Barrett's Jam Cd's

Hello Harpers,
 Just thought I would share with you my experience with Dave Barrett's 3
set jam cd's for $30. What I found very useful is just the discripions
of the tunes, such as a Boogie, a Quick 2 feel, a slow Minor, a Marching
shuffle, a one Chord Groove,a West Coast Swing, a Quick Swing ,a Medium
Shuffle and the list goes on. I have been stuggling with this as I
recently started singing and now all of a sudden I have to become Joe
conductor as well. Just playing harp and singing together has been alot
to bite off. Trying to desribe some of these types of tunes to jam
members or band members can be a whole art in itself. Now I'm the one
counting them in and being responsible for ending the tune.Wholly shit.I
just wanted to play harp and have fun.The more I pursue it the more like
work it can become.I do feel myself getting better in all these areas is
the good news. Of coarse people also call and label things quite
differently depending on where your from.Also like one of the previous
posts pointed out, I am in the 99% who never learned  theory. I do want
to learn now I'll tell ya .My experience has been when people start
talking theory I get real stupid real quick.Its like when you ask
someone for directions for some strange reason your brain slips into
neutral. Mine can anyway.So I just wanted to say these jam tracks were
worth every penny to me.I also attended one of Dave Barrett's Workshops
in Chicago about a year ago.I enjoyed it very much. Alot of the
technical stuff I have not gotten to such as scales and the tabs and
chorus forms.What it did do is put a major fire in my belly. I have been
practicing and playing alot more since. Alot of stuff is slowly starting
to sink in. Now that the barefoot waterskiing season is over I can stay
more focused on my playing.
  As some of the previous posts compared Martial arts to harmonica
playing.I have experienced the same with my barefooting career. Not one
of those tricks came easy to me.Its a slow process. If you put the time
in it will pay off. Its as simple as that.I have won the Mens 4 National
Championships 2 years in a row in Austin Tx. If you want it bad enough
you will get it.It comes from that fire in your gut to be the best you
can be. Wish You All Well. Kevin Keith