Subject: [Harp-L] chromatic vs. diatonic debate

Reach Mann writes:

". . . after having read all the posts there was a
question that arose  about attitude from the cro people
towards the dio folks , a why, and why not  the other
way around ? I think there are two major reasons.
(1) The type  of music. Many cromos are older folks
that like the classics and find rock  and blues very
distasteful,
so it's a natural transition that the dislike  carries
over.
(2) Most chro players don't jam but play note for  note
and try to play the lead melody while it's the other
way around for  dios. It's the initial approach to
learning the instrument from the  beginning. Dios want
to wail and scream while chromos want to play like  a
piano. It's a laaa dee daa vs. look out I'm coming
thru
It's no  wonder there is a gap there. Too bad, and I
do my best to bridge it when ever  I can.
While at one of the SPAH night jams there was one
typical older  chromo player that ventured in and sat
down off to the side in the second  row. Good for him
in trying to make it work but his predisposed  negative
attitude did him in. The tune was in D so his C
bigharp
would  have worked. His turn came up, he tooted a few
notes and shook his head.  There were a few words of
support but he was lost and frustrated so he got  up
and left. I'd bet that he was saying something to
himself like,"see, I  knew it wouldn't work". Seems
like there is an opportunity there and a need  to help
bridge that gap at the next SPAH. Why not go into the
chro camp  and have a seminar for those folks to show
basic techniques and knowledge of  how to play the chro
in third position.
Just trying to  help.
Reach"

.......actually, I agree with just about all of your premises.   There are a
couple of exceptions in that some of the "older"  chromatic players being very
cool people and young at heart are open to  "other" genres of music than
their own and move comfortably within both  worlds at SPAH.  They are the folks I
admire and got along with so  well at SPAH and Buckeye.  Let's face it...Rock
is past 50 years old  now.  One would have to be beyond 80 to not have been
exposed to it in  one's youth...so I don't consider age a good enough reason for
a lot of the  "attitude".  I'm not particularly fond of certain music but I
don't  disdain those who do favor it.  I simply prefer different kinds  of
music and consider that the world would be an incredibly boring place  should we
all think alike, look alike and share the same tastes in
everything...including music.  Variety is what makes the world go 'round,  IMHO....and respect for
our different tastes.

Your story about the older chromatic player feeling uncomfortable in the
Blues Jam points up the possibility of bridging the gap at future SPAH's,  and I
think your idea of a seminar for technique for chromatic players is an
excellent one if it would help span the divide, and also because I would  certainly
benefit from it as well, being primarily a chromatic  player originating from
the "piano school of playing the lead" who  feels out of my depth (but oh so
determined to eventually participate)  at the Blues Jams.

Elizabeth