Subject: Re: [Harp-L] Subject: diatonic vs. chromatic

Barbara writes:

"I am a primarily diatonic player.  I read notation and tab.  I  have a
decent working knowledge of music theory.( These are   simply tools and
do not define whether or not i am a musician)  I  play Standards, Irish,
Scottish, Folk , Old Time and Gospel.  At  SPAH '05 I was warmly
welcomed into the lobby and hallway jams, where  I would play melody or
"guitar chord backup" or harmony depending on  what fit.  I stuck my
head into the Blues and Jazz jams, but,  while I enjoy listening to
these genres, I do not "understand their  construction" well enough to
be comfortable playing them.

I  totally agree with those who have said that it is the types of music
that divide us, not the instrument.  There will always be folks  who
play styles of music we may not care for or understand , but this  does
not mean that they  are "better" or  "worse" as  musicians - just
different.

Come on now, let's play nice  together!
Barbara"

.....and you played "very nicely together" with an awful lot of people,
including me...at SPAH.  You're another person I see as "bridging the gap"  and I
only wished you stayed up late enough to spend more time at the Blues Jams
(which of course went on into the wee hours of the morning).  I don't play
there either.....I'm only listening in and thoroughly enjoying the sounds, and
the amazing gathering of so many talented players together in one room.

You are precisely who I meant by "diatonic players who don't necessarily
play blues", and a good example of how easily those of us with widely varied
tastes in harmonica music can get along and even harmonize with, when we choose
to <G>  Elizabeth