Subject: [Harp-L] diatonic vs chromatic ( what can be done?)

(Copies to:  Iceman, Barbecue Bob, JpPagan, Barbara Butler)

Larry (the Iceman) writes among other things (snipped):

"I believe that this is the philosophy of Preserving and Advancing and it
breaks my heart to see or hear about the separation of the camps. It is true
that
the diatonics are much more tolerant and respectful towards the older
Chromatic/Bass/Chord than vice versa, but one has to understand that the
older
generation needs respect in a different way before they may open up to  the
new
changes/music. They need a little more attention and effort should  be made
to make them comfortable. After all, the diatonics have open arms and  youth on
their side."

......I'm sorry Larry, but I can't quite buy this part of your  argument.
While understanding that  a "little more attention" might  be paid to whom you
deem the "older" crowd at Buckeye and SPAH, just how long a  period of time
does one continue paying respect to people who do not give it  back (when many
others of their age group do)  or just how much  time do you allow people to
adapt to a so-called "new"  situation?  By your own account it began years
before.  Surely  even the most recalcitrant individual had finally made up his or
her mind  whether or not to accept "different" players/styles of music at the
Conventions?

I'm flattered as I'm sure most Blues/diatonic players would also  be to have
you describe them as having "youth" on their side....when the  reality is the
majority of them are in their 40's, 50's and 60's.  Hey  - if that's "youth",
great! The Stones are still Rockin' in their  60's.   I think of myself as a
kid at heart anyway <G>.   Playing Blues or anything else on diatonic harmonica
in reality  encompasses players from 7 year olds (the afore-mentioned Sonny
Girl when she  began) to people in their 60's and 70's, as it does those who
play "old-timey" music or classical.  Age is just a number and  shouldn't be
used as a criteria for respect or anything else, IMHO. Respect is  earned.

 Let's be serious though, many of the so-called "older" players who  dig
their heels in and refuse to accept any style of music other than their own  are
younger than many of the Blues or Jazz  players they so abhor.  It  is simply
an inherent and inborn prejudice and snobbery and catering to  such prejudice
does no one any good.

Frankly Barbecue Bob's take on it as a type of racism fits my own  thinking
even more closely when he writes:

"ENOIUGH WITH THE CRAP ALREADY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!"

...in his kudos towards JpPagan's excellent post on the  diatonic/chromatic
subject,
a statement so pure in its simplicity, it's best left  untouched......<G>

... then he adds:

"The snobbery on both sides of the harmonica aisle, to put it harshly,  which
IMNSHO, to me is the harmonica equivalent of racism, people putting  things
down they don't understand and frankly haven't made the effort to do  so."

.....and he's put into words what I've long wanted to say but wasn't  quite
sure how to.

....There is an innate racism (and "class" distinction  in its milder form)
being made between styles of harmonica (and the  musicians making music with it
and the music being made with it) that has  no place in our world.  I heard
it, felt it, saw it at Buckeye and  SPAH and have finely attuned antennae
towards it.

 I hate the idea of it being a "serious" topic here since I much  prefer the
lighter-hearted fun bantering, but am of the belief that  ignoring
discriminatory behavior or thinking doesn't serve to make it  go away as some hope, but
merely allows people of a particular mindset to  feel encouraged.

There is hope for the future of the harmonica, as I had a lovely chat with  a
KC Hilton employee on the way to the Airport after SPAH about this very
subject and he works with disenfranchised Kansas City youth and is now intrigued
by the idea of getting them interested in the harmonica after witnessing one
of  the late-night Blues sessions, but I won't offend anyone's "sensibilities"
by  discussing our very outspoken conversation further.  Anyone who would care
 to talk to me about the rest of that story should feel free to contact me
off  list, of course.

  Separately, I've received several private emails from people  (diatonic
players) who vowed never to return  to either Buckeye or SPAH due to their own
uncomfortable  feelings of disenfranchisement from previous conventions and for
some  unfathomable reason have chosen me as their conduit.  I'm in the
process of trying to convince these harmonica players that they are most  welcome
and indeed needed there.

 Simply by attending and playing your own music (whatever that  is) you help
break down the barriers --as well as the folks running the  shows continuing
to get the best players to conduct the Seminars (we had some  great ones at the
2005 SPAH).  Additionally of course I would  have enjoyed seeing other such
widely varied artists such as Robert  Bonfiglio, Keith Dunn, etc. as well...
perhaps at future Buckeye's/SPAH's,  since I wouldn't presume to know how the
system works nor how difficult it is to  coordinate the Artists with the
Conventions.

I love Barbara Butler's take on it:  "Come on now, let's play nice  together!"

Elizabeth