Re: Subject: [Harp-L] diatonic vs chromatic ( what can be done?)

-----Original Message-----
From: EGS1217

(Copies to:  Iceman, Barbecue Bob, JpPagan, Barbara Butler)

Larry (the Iceman) writes among other things (snipped):

"I believe that this is the philosophy of Preserving and Advancing and it
breaks my heart to see or hear about the separation of the camps. It is true that
the diatonics are much more tolerant and respectful towards the older
Chromatic/Bass/Chord than vice versa, but one has to understand that the older
generation needs respect in a different way before they may open up to the new
changes/music. They need a little more attention and effort should be made to make them comfortable. After all, the diatonics have open arms and youth on their side."

......I'm sorry Larry, but I can't quite buy this part of your argument.  While understanding that  a "little more attention" might be paid to whom you deem the "older" crowd at Buckeye and SPAH, just how long a period of time does one continue paying respect to people who do not give it back (when many others of their age group do)  or just how much time do you allow people to adapt to a so-called "new" situation?  By your own account it began years before.  Surely even the most recalcitrant individual had finally made up his or her mind whether or not to accept "different" players/styles of music at the Conventions?

You ask "just how long a period of time does one continue paying respect to people who do not give it back", and this is a good question.

I don't think that you attended the SPAH's from 1994 - 2000. There was very little split between the camps because SPAH was following the attitude described in my initial email. It was truly a world class experience with much less divisiveness. Blues Shows were packed in attendance by both camps - compare that to what you've witnessed recently. You've also never experienced "Sunny Girl" and the effect she had on the whole tone of the convention - she was a cornerstone for diatonic acceptance to the older crowd.

I only reported on what worked in the past - and it worked very well.

Perhaps others that attended the conventions from 94 - 2000 will speak up on the "L".

The Iceman