Re: [Harp-L] Learn to play in 2 days???

At 08:20 PM 10/7/2005, Garry Hodgson wrote:
"Tim Moyer" <wmharps@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Garry Hodgson wrote:
> > i think you're confusing cause and effect.  he already didn't take
> > harmonica seriously, prior to my smartass comments.
>
> No, I think that was pretty much my point.  It's pretty hard to take it
> seriously when that's what you hear.

oh. sorry i misunderstood you.

Well, I think you have a good point about cause and effect. Is it that people expect less from harmonica because the playing they hear is bad, or that the playing is bad because people expect less?

It's been argued that if people were exposed to better harmonica playing it would raise their expectations, but it seems more realistic that we'll continue to hear lower quality playing because that's what many people think of when they think about adding harmonica to their music. Note people like Bruce Springsteen, or Alanis Morrisette.

-tim

Tim Moyer
Working Man's Harps
http://www.workingmansharps.com/