Re: [Harp-L] Diviseness at SPAH

I only attended one SPAH due to work scheduling. Most of the conventions I get to attend are Buckeye.
Here is how I see it based on my time attending conventions.

What I see are the older players mingling who have attended the conventions for years and got to
know each other over time. We all tend to hone in on a familiar face in a crowd to socialize at gatherings whether it's harp related or not.
Most of the guys in attendance were middle aged or younger when SPAH started. They grew old together like most of us middle aged diatonic players are doing now.
Some have grown up on harmonica bands. Others have taken to playing soloist formats preferring traditional band settings.
This is only a statement not a put down.

Since harpl and other list groups emerged in the mid 90's a whole generation of harp players became aware of each other. I couldn't wait to go to my first
convention so I could meet and hang with all the guys/gals I got to know on harpl. Everyone I socialized with were mainly diatonic player with the exception of
Doug Tate. Some of the chrome players I got to know on this list were not in attendance or I was unaware of them being there such as Siegfried and Vern.
Winslow was a part of both camps bringing together young chrome and diatonics with the groups he formed to perform.

There was a big push for SPAH membership on harpl when I joined in 1997 that continued for a few years. We wrote of our first experiences at both SPAH and Buckeye conventions and started having meetings at the conventions. Harpl members made a point of hooking up with each other. It just so happens were are 1) mostly diatonic players 2) blues players 3) overblow players.

I don't think we generally diss each other based on harp played as we are uncomfortable with the music or jam format. I would have no problem joining in a hall jam with chrome players if I knew the ettiquitte (sp) rules for jamming with them. When I see players paired off in a small group I tend to generalize that it is a private party.

Maybe some of you chrome players (Jack Ely) on the list can fill us in on how to join in a hall jam already in progress. I wouldn't want to GUS a private jam.

I do like to mingle with both the diatonic and chrome players. I got to meet a nice guy from Memphis that attended high school with Elvis. I would have missed a great conversation if I hadn't opened up to him. I never ask for special seating with friends during the dinners. The older chrome players have always welcomed me at their table.

Where I do see a noticeable clique is among some of the overblow players. This was seen at my first convention in 1998. Other diatonic players have been told you have to be able to overblow to join in the hall jam. I don't see it as being about the music at that point as it is about having a head cutting/ego contest among some overblowers to out play each other. I know most of the overblow players would never think to alienate other players but there are snobs among the diatonic camp that tend to elevate themselves above others if only in their own head. It's only a matter of time before the gap among diatonic players widens due to the uppity attitude of a few who want to create a division. Like jazzman said, you know who you are.

mike