RE: [Harp-L] intonation

Hey All-
Lee Oskar harps, Major Diatonic Tuning, A and C. The A harp plays octaves pretty well in tune, but the C, especially the 4 and 7 hole blows are out of tune-I can hear the beats between the notes, and the 7 blow is flat. Is this normal, or is it me, and can it be fixed by a novice (me)? I can try to push the 7 blow a little sharp when I play the note by itself, but I don't have the expertise to do that when I play the octave. Is that a skill I can learn?

Thanks,

Bill

You can fine-tune a slightly flat reed with the Lee Oskar tool-kit quite easily if you follow the instructions. You need to be be sure which of the two reeds, 4-blow or 7-blow, is actually out. Given a good ear you might well be able to convince yourself which one, but I'd be inclined to check with a tuner. I wonder why your reed has gone flat. Lee Oskars are usually accurately-tuned. I play a lot in first position and 7-blow is usually the first reed to flat out. Blues players will tell you different. Having said that it takes years to do it to a Lee Oskar!

If you can really push 7-blow a little sharp you're a lot cleverer than I am!

Steve

http://mysite.wanadoo-members.co.uk/trad_irish_harmonica HEAR my CD clips: http://www.gjk2.com/steveshaw/cd.htm READ review of my CD: http://www.irishmusicreview.com/sshaw.htm