RE: [Harp-L] Binaural Mics

I was an audio engineering major in college. One of my professors told us a story about his buddy who would go to outdoor concerts in NYC with a wig mannequin head on his shoulder. Everybody thought "Ha ha. Look at the funny guy with two heads." But he had stereo mics in the ears of the mannequin and was making awesome stereo bootlegs.
Ryan

From: "jazmaan@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx" <dmf273@xxxxxxxxx>
To: harp-l@xxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Harp-L] Binaural Mics
Date: Tue, 11 Oct 2005 22:23:27 -0700 (PDT)

I bought a set of Panasonic binaural electret condensor mics on Ebay. These binaural mics are
tiny black hi-fi devices designed to clip onto your eyeglasses at the ears. They are spec'd at
20-20,000 hz and work fabulously with my new portable Microtrack flash media recorder. They
require 5 volts of plug-in power, which the Microtrack provides.

Using my head for an acoustic block (no jokes please!) they create a super-stereo sound field.
By plugging them into a Microtrack in my pocket, I have a hands-free, practically invisible,
hi-fidelity recording system that goes wherever I go and hears exactly what I hear.

I'm sure I'm not the only harp player who knows all the cool acoustic echo chambers around the
neighborhood. Garages, tunnels, etc. Even within my own house the kitchen sounds different from
the stairwell, etc.

The Microtrack and the binaurals are sensitive enough to easily pick up all these variations.
And they make the harmonica seem like its a foot wide in super-stereo!

Too much fun!