Re: [Harp-L] Rocky Mtn Harpfest [long]

Hi Michelle,

Thanks for the kudos on my performance (I'm still
blushing here!). That was my debut playing as a
duet, and I was nervous as a kitten! I must
acknowledge my guitarist Frank Cannup ('Franky
Lee'), who backed me for that set and did such a
great job. Much of that stuff was new material for
him, and the duet thing was new to him too!

But thanks especially, Michelle, for your great
rundown of the 2nd Annual Rocky Mountain Harmonica
Festival. Yeah, it certainly was one of those
you-shoulda-been-there events. I'm very, very glad
I was able to attend, as I'd missed it last year.

The only thing I'd like to add to that report was
the great work from a local pro jazz guitarist
named Neil (don't recall his last name) who MHHC
had hired to back up Chris Bauer for his all-jazz
set on Friday night.

They worked so well together it was like they'd
played together for years. I chatted with Neil
afterwards and he said had a ball. He commented,
"I've never heard harmonica like that before, and
I've worked with lots of jazz musicians. But this
guy not only can play at a very high leve, but he
really knows how to communicate musically and
respond to the musical flow. I didn't feel like I
was playing accompaniment... I felt like we were
playing together as equals. Why isn't that guy
totally world famous... and really rich?"

High praise indeed. Neil stayed late Friday night
to be our guitar slave for the blues jam and it was
so great to have someone of that calibre helping us
through the tunes, using those lush jazz chord
substitutions over the blues changes to keep things
fresh.

Madcat was there, as was P.T. Gazell, Paul Davies
and a host of local harp fanatics (old, young, pro,
amateur), and even a few of my students. At one
point Paul decided we should try trading 8s with
the person next to us and go around the circle that
way. I think it really helped some of the beginning
and intermediate players to reach a little higher
and better understand blues dynamics. It was GREAT!
We need to bring that idea to the SPAH blues jam
next year! Buzz, you reading this?

Congratulations to the Mile High Harmonica Club for
putting on a wonderful event. I look forward to
attending next year, and hope to see more Harp-Lers
a the nest one.

Harpin' in Colorado,
--Ken M.

http://mail.yahoo.com