Fwd: [Harp-L] Question for harp historians

--- In harp-l-archives@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, "Mike and Beverly Rogers"
<mbrogers@xxxx> wrote:

When I was a teenager, in the 50's, just starting out, there was a
chromatic player who I saw on TV.  He appeared on some live shows and
played with a mic set-up.  I think his first name was Leo and his
lastname might have been Diamond.  He was excellent and did
standards.  Does anyone remember
this guy?

Bullfrog

===========Winslow:

The chromatic old-timers sure do, and I believe there is a section
devoted to him in Kim Field's Harmonicas, Harps, and Heavy Breathers,
a book all about the history of harmonica and harmonica players in
the U.S.

Diamond as a teenager performed with and arranged for Borrah
Minevich's Harmonica Rascals. He went solo as an adult and wrote a
couple of easy-listening hits and recorded several albums, often
pushing the limits of recording technology with his inventive multi-
tracked harmonica parts - this was at least ten yers before Brian
Wilson of the Beach Boys started maxing out the 8-tracks of his time.

Leo Diamond recorded several albums under his own name, usually
concept albums of what for awhile in recent years was called "lounge
core" (i.e. hard-core lounge music - Martin Denny, Louis Prima,
etc.). Almost none of this has been reissued but you can find his old
LPs on eBay and sometimes by diving and scrounging in dollar bins in
your local used record store. It ain't blues, it ain't jazz, it's
quasi-pop, quasi-easy listening, and always just a little quirky
despite being ultra-smooth.

Winslow