Re: [Harp-L] building your harp CD collection

"Peter Wright" <peterw@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Archive.Org
> I'm not sure who does all the work behind getting the live gig
> recordings onto the Archive.Org site.

a lot of people do.  there's the staff of the archive itself,
who do an amazing job of managing what is now about 27000 live
shows. there's the tapers who go to all the trouble and expense
of recording the shows and making them available.  there're the
folks who spread them around, through trading, bit torrents,
and uploads to the site.  and of course the artists, who create
the music and are willing to share it.

> Anyway, I'd like to
> thank all involved, and the artists who allow it to be posted.

the best way to thank them is to support their efforts.  go to
their shows, buy their cd's.  talk to them after a show and let
them know you appreciate their releasing this material.  it's a
scary thing, giving up control and possible revenue.  let 'em
know it's worth it to you, and to them.

if you see a taper at a show, go shake their hand, maybe buy 'em
a beer.  let 'em know you appreciate what they do.

> It's a great resource

indeed, it's a veritable National Treasure.

> and a great savings.  I've downloaded 8 CD's worth
> of material from the site(that's about $120 bucks if you had to buy
> it).  The Jason Ricci Blowout is a killer; Ricci, Gruenling, Pat
> Ramsey, some fascinating harp by Filisko.

that's great.  just don't forget to support the artists who
make it possible.  they gotta pay the rent, too.

----
Garry Hodgson, Technical Consultant, AT&T Labs

Your love, your anger, your kindness, your hate.
All of it creates the future for you and your children.
What kind of future are you creating today?