Re: [Harp-L] Play Horny

Made me look. The mention of Low Rider got me to slide some WAR into the cd player. I don't hear the sax at all until the end. Lee just plays that repeating Low Rider riff over and over again. It's brilliant in its restraint. In fact I think it may be why he and Mickey Raphael have enjoyed such popular success. Their willingness to play a role in an ensemble. Hearing War again makes me realise that I do need to track down a copy of Live War just for the Slippin' into Darkness harmonica solo. I'm just amazed by how disciplined both Lee Oskar and Mickey Raphael's playing is. Lately I find I'm more attracted to restraint in playing than I am to wild abandon. Returning from an out of town gig last weekend we had the Jimmy Rogers anthology CD in the player. Willie Nelson had a cover in their somewhere, Mickey Raphael brilliantly playing maybe 4-5 notes on an Echo in G then switching to a normal diatonic later in the tune, again just a couple of notes. fjm