Re: [Harp-L] Just a thought.....

----- Original Message ----- From: "CHARLES BASSI" <jeanchar50@xxxxxxx>
To: <MundHarp@xxxxxxx>
Cc: "Harp-L" <harp-l@xxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Sunday, October 16, 2005 11:36 PM
Subject: Re: [Harp-L] Just a thought.....

Where on earth did you get all 12 keys of 270 chromatics???
I'd love to have a Db (for example) but I didn't think they were available.

You can raise the key of a chromatic a halftone by turning the slide over and replacing the upper reedplate with one a wholetone higher. Example: With the slide turned over on a C harp, you are sending the air to the lower Db/C# reedplate when the button is not pushed. Now if you replace the upper C reedplate with a D, you have a Db harp (Db button unpushed and D with button pushed) In this way you can fill out your set with any "missing" keys by merely replacing some reedplates!

It isn't a perfect solution because it costs money and requires you to replace nailed-on reedplates. However, I would argue that it is the best way to accomplish your goal of a complete 12-key set of 270s.

This will NOT work on CX12 or other "cross-tuned" harps.

The only keys I've seen offered are A, Bb, C, C Tenor, D, E, Eb, and F.

The 270 is also available from Hohner in G. That only requires you to use the above scheme to get Ab, B, Db, and F# . If you can forego F# and B, then you only have to buy two extra sets of reedplates.

Vern
Visit my harmonica website: http://www.Hands-Free-Chromatic.7p.com