[Harp-L] Possible extinction of Chromatic

FJM stated: "If what you're really worried about is chromatic harmonica in the United States then the secret would be to bring back Vaudeville."  Vaudeville is a wonderful idea and a possible solution.  Exposure to the public at large via radio and TV may also be a possible solution.  Having outstanding role models on the chromatic harmonica would help as well.
Having both the d and the chromatic harmonica taught  in the pubic schools would ensure its future as well.

The (chromatic) harmonica club where I am a member of does not offer harmonica lessons for interesting and new beginners.  It does not want its members to use music stands and to play by music (note reading) during their jigs, because it wouldn't look right with some having music stands and others not.  We're not a orchestra.  I am the newest and youngest member at the young age of 63, while the average age is in the 80's with two in the early 90!  They only play the c chromatic harmonica in the key of 'c'   The club mainly plays Broadway Show Tunes and Oldies (1920's to 1950's) at old folks homes and retirement centers.   In less than a year and a half's time three members are not able to return because of their health.  This is the club that was started about 18 years ago by Louis (Lou) Delin, who was with the vaudeville band, "The Harmonica Rascals."

Say, there's an idea: starting more harmonica clubs throughout the U.S.A.

 What's the future of the club and the chromatic harmonica, unless we encourage the younger generation to join and play both the d and the chromatic harmonicas.

A SPAH member as well.

Sincerely,

pemiller86 (Phillip)