RE: [Harp-L] Fwd: need 2 names - Peter Madcat Ruth and Duster Bennett

I would hardly call Madcat Ruth a novelty player.  He's toured with the
great Dave Brubeck, and now plays with Brubeck's son Chris as part of
the trio, Triple Play.

I saw Madcat with Triple Play, and he switches harps during performance
as needed for the piece.  Because the pieces are jazz-influenced, they
often include scales, chords, and key changes outside the norm for
straight blues/rock/country diatonic playing.  Rather than playing
chromatic or making extensive use of overblows, Ruth adeptly switches
harps between notes to get the next scale, chord or key change as
needed.  If only I could switch harps like that!  The point is, it's not
novelty playing, he's using harps to fit the piece.  When I saw him he
generally switched harps 2 or 3 times within a song, mostly to follow
key changes.

OK, so he did perform one novelty song at the end of the show.

He played a fast, chugging, roots-style melody while a member of the
audience handed him novelty music makers, like a nurse slapping an
instrument into the hand of a surgeon.  He would sick the toy in the
side of his mouth and toot, honk, whistle, etc. without ever breaking
stride in rhythm or melody on the harmonica.  Think Sonny Terry squall.
It ended with Ruth putting two paper blowout whistles at either corner
of his mouth and puffing them in and out, while still playing.

But I still consider him a serious musician...

He has a website, as does Triple Play.

http://www.madcatmusic.net/news.html

http://www.brubeckmusic.com/tripleplay.html

Rene