Re: [Harp-L] harp tuning

Jim McBride wrote:
> Equal tuning sets each note to the exact pitch and allows melody
> and single note playing to sound best. Just tuning adjusts a few
> of the pitches so that the intervals are correct - this makes
> chords sound good. Do you harp tuning experts out there agree with
> this simple explanation? Now a few questions for the experts...

It's more like: equal temperament divides the notes between the
octaves into even spaces, so that chords in each key sound equally
bad ;-).

1) Why don't I hear about Equal  vs. Just tuning on other
instruments that play both single notes and chords? You never hear
guitar or piano players discussing this. Why only harp?

The discussion has more to do with chromatic vs. diatonic
instruments.  Diatonic instruments (like harmonica) are by
definition designed to play in one key (okay, different keys in
different modes, but let's keep it simple here).  For that reason
the notes that will be played in combination (chords) are
predictable, and can be optimized to sound best together.  Chromatic
instruments are required to play in a variety of keys, and it's less
predictable which notes will be played together, so rather than
adjust for one or a couple to sound best (this was done in the
past), these instruments are adjusted so that all chording sounds
equally good (or bad, depending on your point of view).

2) I like to play SP20's but can't find any info on how they are
tuned. I believe they are Just tuned because I know that my Herring
1923 is Just tuned and the SP20 sounds very close to it. Does anyone
know how Hohner tunes SP20's?

Hohner handmade harps are tuned to a compromise intonation between
just and equal.  The notes are tuned *toward* just intonation, but
stop short of true just.  This helps them sound a little closer to
the mark when single notes are played in concert with other
chromatic instruments, but without completely sacrificing the
chords.  I've included a chart at the bottom of this message.

3) Is the 5 draw one of the notes that get adjusted for Just tuning?
I have a particular song, "Little Wing" by Jimi Hendrix (E minor)
where I play a simple 3rd position solo with a D harp. I have a 5
draw in the solo and everytime I play it I hear it slightly off. Its
close, but I can tell something is wrong. I thought maybe I was
accidentally bending it, or that the particular SP 20 I used was out
of tune. But now I'm thinking its the Just tuning. Should I get a
Golden Melody which is Equal  tuned to solve this?

The 5 draw (and 9 draw) are the biggest deviation from equal
temperament when a harp is tuned to just intonation, and in some
compromise tunings as well.  In 7-limit just, for example, the 5
draw is tuned 29 cents flat of the equally tempered b7, which is
pretty damned flat.  In the Hohner compromise intonation, I believe
this number is around 12 cents flat of equal temperament.  In 19-
limit just, however, the note is 2 cents sharp of equal.  Golden
Melodies are ostensibly tuned to equal temperament, as are Lee
Oskars, so these would give you a "more accurate" 5 draw, relative
to chromatic instruments.

4) Does anyone have a straightforward chart on the factory tuning
for particular harps? What I had in mind was taking a harp and
checking it on my chromatic tuner and adjusting it back to the
proper factory tuning. For example, the chart might tell me that my
5 draw should be tuned 20 cents sharp from the intended note.

Here's the "factory" intonation for a Special 20 (and Marine Band):

blow +00 -10 +01 +00 -10 +01 +00 -10 +01 +00
hole 001 002 003 004 005 006 007 008 009 010
draw +02 +01 -11 +02 -12 +03 -11 +02 -12 +03

These values are all in cents from the reference pitch, which is
probably around A=442 (8 cents sharp) or A=443 (12 cents sharp).
Notice that the octaves are tuned identically, both on the blow side
and the draw side.

Happy tuning!

-tim

Tim Moyer