[Harp-L] New Harp book {excerpt on tunning} and Two new blues Mp3 tunes

Hi Harp-lers,

I'm always looking in on harp-l and wanted to chime in
on the tuning thing, here is an excerpt from my book,

Back in the eighties some time, Honner stopped hand
tuning their harps and hence? tuning your harp or
paying others to tune and set your harps is, for the
professional and up and coming player, well the can of
worms I was telling you about.
I can hear when one reed on my harp becomes flat. I
open up the harp. I find the reed that is flat or
sharp and get out my harp tool kit {Reel tools}, a
tuning machine, Some jewelers files {Very fine} and a
one sided razor or something very thin to place
underneath the reed.

Looking down at the reed plate and the reed comb witch
are made of plastic, wood or steel {Woods is my
favorite}. On one side of the reed plate, the reed is
riveted, and the other end, it is free of but close to
the edge of the reed plate and comb hole, although the
reed lays slightly above the reed plate to allow the
air to flow though.

the whole harp when I get it and then work on them
twice a month, to clean and wash them with an
antiseptic mouthwash. I would not recommend mint!

Setting the harp mean the distance between the reeds
and the reed plate {the side with out the rivet}. The
closer to the plate, the less air it takes to produce
tone, also bends and more so, over blows need the reed
to be close to the plate. Some people call this
patting the reed down because that?s what your
essentially doing. I use my fingers to push the reeds
down and a screwdriver to push them up. If the reed
will not vibrate, it is to close to the reed plate or
twisted off its access {not in the center of the
hole}. The draw and blow reeds of each chamber must
work in tandem. Both reeds must be set for the player
taste. I like them close, I can get a lot of nuances
at lower volumes. But in the lower keys of the
harmonica, like G or A. The Reeds are longer and
produce a lower pitch. They sure are tricky, needing
more space between the reeds and reed plate. I let my
amp?s volume knob compete with the band. Of course I
do
Have three amps. Small, Large and Extra Large!

Yahoo! Music Unlimited
http://music.yahoo.com/unlimited/