Re: [Harp-L] questions re Shure 545S mic

Date: Fri, 21 Oct 2005 10:49:42 EDT
From: Captron100@xxxxxxx
Subject: [Harp-L] questions re Shure 545S mic
To: harp-l@xxxxxxxxxx

>I had already been [to Shure's mic datasheet site] and made my post
>because the instructions in the Shure site are unclear to me.  For
>example,  it says, "Choice of impedence made by choice of cable leads
>connected at equipment end of cable".
>I suspect that means that the wires in the  connector that plug into
>the amp can be rewired to change the  impedence. But Tom Ellis if Tom's
>mics posted off list that impedence  of the 545S is determined by the
>cable, not wiring inside the mic. At this point, i'm fairly confident
>that my mic is already in high impedence mode, but it would be
>interesting to understand how it might be changed to low impedence,
>even tho i would never want to do that. Most of the other 545's can be
>changed by changing wiring in the mic, and fairly  clear instructions
>for all of them except the 545S are given on G's site at
>_http://www.angelfire.com/music/harmonica/shure545.html Btw,
>interestingly and coincidentally, Tom Ball just posted that his mic of
>choice is the 545SD for harp and vocals, sitting on a mic stand.
>According to G's site, this mic supp. doesnt have the same qualities
>for playing amplified hand-held harp as the discontinued 545's and
>PE54's.
> ron

Hi there Ron.
  If your 545S has a 4 pin connector, then the impedance is determined by
the wiring of the cable, just like the original 545.
  Also both the original 545 and 545S have the original US made R45
cartridge. I understand from Tom Ellis that all other 545 and PE54 models
have Mexican made R45 cartridges.
  The comments I make regarding the US vs Mexican made R45 cartridges are
based on advice from Tom Ellis, as well as a lengthy thread on the subject
on this group.    I've got a US made R45 cartridge in an old 545SD body
which I'm extremely happy with.  A friend of mine borrowed it, and within a
few days ordered a brand new 545SD from a local shop, he continued to gig
with mine for another month.  Having received his mic three weeks ago, he
hasn't noticed any difference in tone or sound. That said we haven't A:B'd
them yet.  He's played both of them at a number of gigs through a stock
Bassman RI, the only 'mod' being he swapped the SS rectify with a tube
rectifier upon my advice.

  I realise the description on that page for the 545 and 545S isn't all
that clear
and having just checked, I realise I haven't included a diagram, which
makes a big difference.  To add to the confusion the manual talks in terms
of lead colours instead of pin numbers which is really confusing,
especially when theres two sets of colour codes that aren't matched between
the mic and the cable.

  Anyway, in the case of your mic, all the wiring is done in the cable, NOT
the mic.   The cable's wiring determines the mic's impedance.  With all the
other XLR jack 545 models, they've used internal jumpers to the jack that
can be changed around, making it a great deal easier for everyone.

  To use your 545S HIGH impedance, you have a cable with a signal core, and
earth sheath - just like any guitar chord - I assume you'll have a 1/4"
plug at one end to go into your amplifier or whatever, in which case the
signal wire goes to its tip, and earth to the plug's sheath.
 At the other end of the cable where the 4 pin plug is, according to the
545 and 545S manual: Wire the earth sheath of the cable to pin 1 of the
four pin plug; and you wire the signal to pin 2 of the four pin plug.

If this doesn't work, I'd like to know so I can correct the Shure545 web page.

Cheers,
-- G.