Re: RE:[Harp-L] Recording in studio...advice?

Hey Mike

There was a great feal of good advice to follow posted here on Harp-L - most of which I did not follow on my first recording. Lots of practice and comfort level. Bring your own equipment and backups. Do things the way you like to and the way you have practiced them. I did have one stroke of luck on my first recording that I think helped quite a bit. That was that it was very "low stress". We all really had fun and it showed quite positively in the tracks I put on CD.

One thing that means is allowing yourself adequate time in the studio. It can be expensive, but it can really help. Also, having a good attitude. Your "vibe" can affect the other players. We recorded in my living room, so we had plenty of time and recorded until we were dead tired. We made sure to have fun - including food, drink and all other amenities anyone wished. I also remembered not to let anyone feel pressured - even though it was my only shot at recording. The fact that it was "low stress" and a "happy" day really helped. We didn't practice very much or ever play the stuff live and not everyone was using his own equipment, but we managed to get something good going. While the recording (in my living room) wasn't top notch professionsal, I have always been happy to hand it out to friends. Because we were a happy bunch, we played like a group (although the band was put together piece-meal) and we definitely felt we should do it again. Just add that little thought to the other, more salient advice you got.

Michael