65 smackers an hour is no way to rehearse. Know what tunes you are doing and have the arrangements DOWN! Don't waste time and money on that malarkey. BUT if you have the time/money take some time and experiment. Try different micing positions, switch amps to fit the tune (if it's a rocker shoot for a gainier/crunchier tone, if it's a chicago blues go for a rounder cleaner tone etc.) Try making tunes up on the spot. Don't waste a lot of time working it out. Talk through it and try it once or twice, always with the tape rolling, and if it doesn't work move on. Some of the cooler things on my two CDs have started with somebody saying "I've always wanted too..." If you are not getting what you wanted out of the tunes you planned on recording taking a break and being sponataneous and creative can help you get back on track.

From: "Chris Michalek" <Chris@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
With my CD the producer didn't like my solos (Eff him!!) so he
directed to play what he thought was good.  Dumb idea.  Do what you
do and play what you play.

I say if that's the problem you had you got the wrong producer. A good producer is there to help you get the sound you want, push you to do better and when neccasary step in and say "That's lame" "That sucks" or "that solo was way too long". A great producer will actually say "That was good let's do it again and try it like this..." I had Rick Holmstrom produce my first CD and he oversaw the tracking sessions on the second one but did not mix and we had learned a lot from the first CD and did a lot ourselves it so he did not want a producer credit. Either way he was a tremendous help. The right combination of studio know how, musicianship and he's just a hell of a nice guy. We told him we wanted the first CD to sound like the records he did with Johnny Dyer, a big 50s room sound, and he got that for us.

I think if you are going to spend the money to get a producer get someone who's work you admire. You'd be surprised who you can get just by asking and paying them.

from: Keith Dunn <keith@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
It is important to remember that making records and playing live are two
different skills that should be thought of as such. Some people think that good
records are made by mistake or luck.

Absolutely! What works live might not work on a recording and you might record something you would never do live. I think blues musicians need to go into the studio with some kind of concept/vision to keep every CD from sounding the same. My first CD I just kind of threw on whatever songs I had written most of which were in a 50s Chicago/west coast jump bag. The second one was similar but the feels were a little more varied perhaps too much so. To avoid making the same CD over and over I now have a much clearer and vision for the next CD and it will radically different from the previous two and the 4th will be just as different.

Ryan