RE: [Harp-L] PT Gazell's new cd

Great job PT!! I love the whole thing especially "How High the Moon".

cheers,
James

From: Ludo Beckers <ludobeckers@xxxxxxxxxxx>
To: harp-l@xxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Harp-L] PT Gazell's new cd
Date: Sat, 29 Oct 2005 14:39:41 +0100 (BST)

If country-swing king Bob Wills were around these days, I imagine he would've asked PT Gazell to play harmonica with his Texas Playboys.

PT's new cd "Swingin' Easy... Hittin' Hard" is truly a gem.

If you are the kind of person that cringes when hearing the word "jazz"... don't worry! The kind of jazz PT plays is not the one where there's a million superfast notes clustering in an attempt to outdo Charlie Parker; it IS easy swingin'.

Véry interesting, technically wise, is his use of windsavers to get chromaticity (there's a picture of his valved reedplates on the inside cover).

I think it is a valid alternative for overblowing (not trying to convince anyone to give up their o.b.'s, just saying they're equally well working musically).

Another great example of windsaver playing on diatonic btw is on Dave Rice's "Ned Went a' Fishin'". He uses it on one track only ("Bankhead Blues"), but it's a(n old time) tune I fell in love with at first hearing.

Anyway, just wanted to say congrats to PT for making another great cd!

Ludo