Re: [Harp-L] Re: Embossing

Date: Sun, 30 Oct 2005 20:31:45 -0800
From: "Vern Smith" <jevern@xxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: [Harp-L] Re: Embossing
To: "harp-l" <harp-l@xxxxxxxxxx>

>Since all slots are essentially the same shape, one
>properly-shaped tool should do it for any slot. A ball-
>shaped tool about 3 times the width of the slot (about
>1/4 inch in diameter) on a stout handle should work well.
>If I were to make an embossing tool, I would chuck a 6-
>inch length of 1/4" diameter steel rod in my drill press.
>While it was spinning, I would file the end into a
>hemispherical shape, then polish it with 600-grit
>sandpaper and then crocus cloth. An electric hand drill
>might work in place of the drill press.

Many moons ago Pat pointed out reducing punches, useful for many purposes,
you can buy them at MicroMark
http://www.ares-server.com/Ares/Ares.asp?MerchantID=RET01229&Action=Catalog&;
Type=Product&ID=82390

For some time I have found a tuning fork excellent for bringing in the
sides of reed slots.
Cheers,
-- G.