Re: [Harp-L] minidisc substitute

What's interesting is to read the Edirol specs on 44.1 khz (16 bit?) recording capacity using the 64 mb flash drive that comes with the R-1 drive. 3 minutes uncompressed. I spent some time reading the Harmony Central site regarding the Sony HD Mini disc vs the Micro Track recording device. You get the same amount of uncompressed raw data per storage byte with either one. 125 minutes for 2 gig of stroage. The Mini Track comes with a built in pair of microphones and a mic pre amp. Pricey compared to what? Standard mini disc recorders use compression. Anything else that's currently available that records at a CD quality quickly gets up to $1000. I-pods don't record CD quality. Maybe it's just me but I don't consider MP3 a viable format for anything but sound files on the internet and even then I'm apalled by what the compression does to the sound. fjm