Re: [Harp-L] Special 20s "built in obsolescence"

I would add to what has previously been said that it's not a matter of playing quietly or without force. I'm a hard player, I play loudly and I oftentime play quickly but I don't destroy harmonicas anymore. What turned the corner for me was buying a Filisko harmonica. It cost a lot $85 at the time and I was not going to pay good money like that and flat the reeds. With the much more even response and airtightness of the harmonica I was able to evolve a technique that stopped breaking my harmonicas. Fortunately it translates to all of the harmonicas not just the customs. The one thing that will still cause me to break harmonicas is playing in a loud environment acoustically. Like on the street, I overplay and flat reeds. Don't despair though, there are lots of really good harmonica players that are hard on harmonicas, William Clarke, Steve Guyger, John Popper. fjm