[Harp-L] bends on 5 and 7

Hi Everyone,
Although I do not want to discourage getting expressiveness from the draw
reed on 5 and blow reed on 7, on the regular tuned diatonic harp, I would
like to point out that the regular bends are designed to get whatever note
lay between the blow and draw reeds. (not really designed, but more of an
accident) There is only 1/2 step difference between the blow and draw in
holes 5 and 7. That would mean that there isn't any real note there.
I believe that for most people, the 5 draw reed is the one that
"blows out" the most.
Of course there are exceptions! The 5 overblow, 7 overdraw, altered
tunings, and players that tend to blow out different reeds, and players
that hardly ever blow out a reed.
Some people on this list don't understand about the overblows and
overdraws. That is a whole new topic and it combines mastering several
techniques at the same time.
I am not trying to disagree with the Iceman and Chris. These guys are
masters of the harmonica and they always give good advice, however I
believe that if allot of people reading about this begin bending the 5
draw, it will cost you money.
All the best,
Bob Meehan
web site bobmeehan.net