Re: [Harp-L] acoustic jug band volume

Ross,  I play with a National Reso (brass) player and a mandolin player as a three piece.  those instruments by their very nature cut.  Add a washboard in there and I really don't know how you can keep up acoustically.  Practice/rehearsal is one thing, but when we play gigs, we have a little PA for the vocals, and I use my vocal mic to play harp into.  I don't hold the mic, it's on the stand, and I adjust my volume by moving closer and further to/from the mic.  As far as making your harp louder, I've had some luck with increased projection by opening up the back of the cover plates and putting strips of micropore tape on the "wings" (the part where the cover plate screws go through) of the comb for airtightness.

jim.

>>> "Ross Macdonald" <ross@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> 9/13/2005 4:06 PM >>>

Help please - I play / busk in an acoustic jug band - a finger picker
guitarist on a really high end national steel resonator, washboard and
washtub bass.  I play pretty hard to attain the volume that sounds loud
enough and right to me and luckily most songs are in C so I can play 2nd
position F harp that cuts through pretty well, but audience and friends say
I need to be louder to be at the right balance with the guitar. Solos are
loud enough, it's when I am chugging rythmn that seems to be the problem.
Much worse problem on lower key harp songs, so I got an inconspicuous Smokey
amp and use my Shaker Madcat mic to add a little punch - and still the
audience wants me louder.  I play SP20s and Delta Frosts - Is this a common
problem with resonator guitars? or is my finger picker just too loud? or
perhaps it might be the position of my harp relative to the audience?  I'm
stumped - The guitar guy wants the pure Memphis feel to the band (no amps),
but it feels like I may blow a gasket if I have to blow hard enough to be
heard without amplification.

Any jug band street-buskin harp players out there with pearls of wisdom?

Ross Macdonald