[Harp-L] york tape recorder mike

I was back east a couple of weeks ago and poked around
the crowded basement and found an old tape recorder
microphone with the name York on it.  It is a stick
type, cheap looking, mostly black plastic, smaller
than a 57, really light weight.  I brough it back with
low expectations.  It has a 1/8 inch male on the
short, skinny wire.  I got an adapter from radio
shack, plugged it into a bassman-type amp and WOW, it
sounded great -- well, when I turned the levels on the
amp up a bit.  Then I left the amp at the usual levels
and ran the mike through a mxr 10-band eq with gain
and volume up a bit -- YIKES!  It screams.  What a
nice surprise.  I really wouldn't hesitate to gig with
it -- but I'd bring a back-up because it's pretty
flimsy.  It has an on/off switch that doesn't do
anything.  A magnifying glass shows that it says Japan
on the doohickie where the wire enters the mike.
Anybody ever heard of York tape recorders or
microphones?  I suspect they aren't top of the line!
I think there's a lesson in here for me somewhere!
--john k.