Re: [Harp-L] 1st chromatic

Hi Gerald,

There are many differences.

I concur with Vern's response, but will add that
the square-hole mouthpiece of the Hohner 270 is
another factor. A lot of guys complain that it is
like playing into a cheese grator whereas the
round-hole Hering mouthpiece is very comfortable.

Another difference is the airtightness factor.
Hering chromatics are much more responsive and
airtight than the venerable wood combed 270. You
need more air to play the Hohner, IMO.

I own a 270 and several Hering models and only
rarely play the stock Hohner these days, though I
do like its tone alot. The tone of the 270 is
darker and richer than the Hering harps, IMO.

Here's another thought regarding durablity. I don't
know for fact, but I think that maybe Hering has
changed its reeds in recent years because I haven't
had single reed failure on Hering chroms I've
purchased within the last few years. However, harps
that I bought when Hering's first came to the U.S.
market tended to go flat very fast.

Whether it's something Hering has changed, or that
I'm simply not as hard on my chroms as I used to
be, I can't really say for sure. Maybe Bill (the
Hering Maven) can tell us what's what.

Harpin' in Colorado,
--Ken M.