Re: RE: [Harp-L] Microtrack vs Sony Minidisc

"Less Paul" <lesspaul58@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> 24-bit at 96khz is pretty good in my book -- better than CD  which is
> 16-bit, 44.1Khz.

of course it also chews up memory, what, 3 times as fast?  so instead of
90 minutes on a 1G flash you'd get 30.  or is my math off?

> However some newer minidisks also support lossless PCM (read: CD-quality
> WAV) at 44.1khz 16-bit -- lower quality than the Microtrack.
>
> So the answer is if you thought the Minidisc was great, the Microtrack
> should be even better (at least on paper).

it's the "on paper" thing i question.  my personal belief is that
few people have the specialized equipment and the hearing
to discern differences between 24bit 96Khz and 16bit 44.1.
(i have no data to support this)

> Given M-Audio's track record, I'd
> bet it would meet expectations.

one *huge* advantage microtrack has is that when connected to
a computer it looks like just another usb drive.  this makes it
much simpler to transfer files and such.  i hate the fact that i
have to use sony's proprietary software to transfer files from
my minidisc to computer, particularly since it means i can't
use it on linux, and have to actually...ugh...touch a windows
machine.  shudder.

----
Garry Hodgson, Technical Consultant, AT&T Labs

Your love, your anger, your kindness, your hate.
All of it creates the future for you and your children.
What kind of future are you creating today?