RE: [Harp-L] Microtrack vs Sony Minidisc

You are correct sir. Certainly overkill if you are looking for a pocket
audio notepad.

However the original question was if the quality would be high enough. (it
is) And as such I didn't note that the Microtrack also supports 16/24-bit
depth at 32, 44.1, 48, 88.2 or 96kHz. So downshifting quality for sake of
recording time is very flexible, with the lowest lossless rate yielding
better time than the MiniDisc. The MiniDisc specification lists only a
single lossless mode (16 bit/44.1khz)

> > However some newer minidisks also support lossless PCM (read:
> > CD-quality
> > WAV) at 44.1khz 16-bit -- lower quality than the Microtrack.
> >
> > So the answer is if you thought the Minidisc was great, the
> Microtrack
> > should be even better (at least on paper).
>
> it's the "on paper" thing i question.  my personal belief is
> that few people have the specialized equipment and the
> hearing to discern differences between 24bit 96Khz and 16bit 44.1.
> (i have no data to support this)

Frankly, I agree -- but there are those who are adamant that they can hear
the difference, and I'm in no position to argue. My ears can't hear it. What
I've been told -- hearsay at best -- is that while you might not be able to
hear the difference, when working in a studio environment mixing and
mashing, some quality loss is inevitable, (Mr Nyquist and the like) and
starting out with a 'superior' rate and depth will yield a better 44.1k when
the project is complete.

> > Given M-Audio's track record, I'd
> > bet it would meet expectations.
>
> one *huge* advantage microtrack has is that when connected to
> a computer it looks like just another usb drive.  this makes
> it much simpler to transfer files and such.  i hate the fact
> that i have to use sony's proprietary software to transfer
> files from my minidisc to computer, particularly since it
> means i can't use it on linux, and have to
> actually...ugh...touch a windows machine.  shudder.

I agree. I have some ATRAC stuff and I've given up on the shoddy software.
To me ATRAC is to MP3 what BetaMax was to VHS -- slightly superior but not
worth the cost/hassle/etc. The Sony proprietary nightmare. Might be cool
with a PS2, but I like interoperability in my audio world.

I think both the MiniDisc and the Microtrack look like excellent products,
intended for different audiences with the inevitable overlap. Sure as H*&L
they are better than my Zoom PS02!