> C major harp gives:
>
> C	1st position	Ionian
> G	2nd	"		Mixolydian
> D	3rd	"		Dorian
> A	4th	"		Aeolian
> E	5th	"		Phrygian
> B	6th	"		Locrian
> F	12th	"		Lydian

It's really tempting to equate positions and modes, but it's not
that simple.  If the harmonica was only capable of producing notes
in the major scale to which it is ostensibly tuned, and all the
tones in the scale across a given range -- like solo tuning without
bends -- this would be practically true.  But the truth is that
through other techniques -- bending, overbending, etc. -- other
notes are possible.

It is very true that the positions outlined above translate most
easily to these modes, particularly in the middle octave.  But, for
example, simply because I'm playing in second position doesn't mean
I'm playing in mixolydian mode.  I could be overblowing the 5 for
the major 7th and be playing in ionian mode, or I could be bending
the 3 and playing in Dorian mode.

It's also an oversimplification to refer to a song being in "a key"
since nearly every song has chord changes that move through other
keys.  So playing a I-IV-V in G on a C harp means playing over
changes in G, C and D, 2nd, 1st, and 3rd positions.  There may or
may not be mode changes accompanying the progression of chords.

I don't know about the rest of the players out there, but I don't do
too many tunes that are written in phrygian mode.  But I do play in
12th position on a couple of tunes, remembering to draw bend the 3
and overblow the 6 to get the 4th notes and to draw bend the two
hole to get the low octave tonic for the major scale (ionian mode).

-tim

Tim Moyer
Working Man's Harps
http://www.workingmansharps.com/