Re: [Harp-L] 5th position

Chris Michalek wrote:

If you truly want to go where no man has gone before - play the music
that's in your head. Listen to the tone, flavors, rhythms, colors,
shapes that come to you naturally.  DON'T think of notes, that's a
bigger trap than thinking in positions.

There is nothing wrong with "thinking" in positions and in fact
Howard will tell you to think that way until you're comfortable
playing through changes.  Thinking "positionally" is a step beyond
thinking in notes.

When I'm playing I don't think anything, I see colors, textures,
waves of rhythms in my head.  That's what I play.  If I need do break
it down later and figure out what I played I can but what would be
the point?

I'm an ear player (know rudiments of theory) but I can't imagine playing any other way. It's like the Yogiism "How can you think and hit at the same time?" I've got to admit that I'm nowhere near being able to pick up harps at random and play what I want to play. I've been working on it in the car. I try to play along with whatever comes up on the cd player using one harp.

BTW, thinking about positions is like trying to use keys that give you open strings on the guitar. There are certain effects that don't really work as well otherwise.

I'm a little worried about the synesthesia though. <g>

--
Hear Barrelhouse Solly on the internet--that's me

http://www.soundclick.com/barrelhousesolly

Yes, it's what everyone has been clamoring for--pictures of the cats:

http://ratemykitten.com/my/?gallery=willie_mctell