[Harp-L] Colors, textures, shapes

I love to read posts from Chris, the Iceman and others who are way ahead of me on the harp! This thread reminds me that we don't all have the same learning style. Even among musicians who tend to have an aural learning style some of us are very visual, some more tactile, others learn more from feeling, etc.

When I read about other musicians seeing "colors, textures, and waves of rhythm" as they play I am always jealous. That must be an incredible experience but, unfortunately, it will never be mine because I am not wired that way. It's become important to me to understand what my own learning style is and develop my strategies based on that info. I didn't even see colors and textures in the '60's when EVERYONE else did so I'm probably not ever going to see them no matter what playing technique I use.

I've tried lots of different practice techniques and probably got something from each of them. I now know that some are not very effective for me [even though they work very well for some others]. Once in awhile when I'm playing I'm able to let go and JUST PLAY and I feel transported to someplace very sweet but, alas, still no colors, textures.

So...keep telling me what works for you because many of your suggestions have really helped me [and, unfortunately, some have refused to stick to my teflon brain]!
Thanks,
Jay

The St.Vincent email system added the following official information to this message.
------------------------------------------------------------NOTICE OF CONFIDENTIALITY [STV-NOTIFY-041405]
The information in this email, including attachments, may be confidential and/or privileged and may contain confidential health information. This email is intended to be reviewed only by the individual or organization named as addressee. If you have received this email in error please notify St.Vincent Health immediately - by return message to the sender or to infosec@xxxxxxxxxxxxx - and destroy all copies of this message and any attachments. Please note that any views or opinions presented in this email are solely those of the author and do not necessarily represent those of St.Vincent Health. Confidential health information is protected by state and federal law, including, but not limited to, the Health Insurance Portability and Accountability Act (HIPAA) of 1996 and related regulations.