[Harp-L] Re:Circle Jams

Moandabluz wrote:

>when I go somewhere like SPAH or Buckeye and get into those circle jam
>sessions, I flounder. I think it's because I am a "feel" and 'by ear" player
>and that doesn't seem to work for me there.

3 suggestions for SPAH or Buckeye jams.

1.  KEEP IT SIMPLE - no way you can compete with some of those guys for flash and speed (if you
could you wouldn't be asking for advice here.)  So just keep it slow, spare and simple!

2. Have a clear idea ahead of time of a few simple motifs you plan to work into your solos.  That
helps to keep you from "floundering".  For example, I remember at one circle jam I decided ahead
of time to work in the theme from "Tuxedo Junction".  It's easy to play, just a few notes long and
requiring no special ability, but when the jam ended, several people came up to me to comment on
it.

3. Know what makes you sound like YOU and do your best to bring that out in your playing.   If you
love doin the headshake and think your headshake sounds unique, then use it.  If you just love
doin that #10 blow bend and think that's what makes you special (god forbid!) then use it (and pay
no attention to me when I roll my eyes!)  The idea is to do aim for something that will give you
an identifiable sound that separates you from the pack.

Just my two cents worth!