Re: [Harp-L] this recent thread on positions, notes, colors etc...

Hey Steve,

--- Moandabluz@xxxxxxx wrote:
<<snip>>
> BUT.. when I go somewhere like SPAH or Buckeye
> and get into those circle jam sessions, I
> flounder. I think it's because I am a
> "feel" and 'by ear" player and that doesn't seem
> to work for me there.
<<snip>>

Yeah, sitting in with all those monster players can
be super intimidating (not that any of those guys
are trying to intimidate), and cause one to
stumble. It can be a very difficult situation,
especially when the guy who plays right before you
absolutely tears it up in 3rd position and there
you were, all set to give a whirl at 3rd position.
And that empty feeling that all the good licks have
already been played!

So, what do to? Well, first of all, relax and
remember that we're all there to simply have fun
and enjoy each other's company, and share our
enjoment of blues harp.

The SPAH Blues Jam Circle got easier for me, I
think once I:
1) had somewhat increased my "blues vocabulary";
2) could relax and focus on what ~I~ have to say
rather than on the awesome impossible stuff the 10
pros who went before me played; and
3) when I learned to stay away from the bottle
sitting in the middle of the circle...

Um. Oh well, two out of three ain't bad. ;-)

Harpin' in Colorado,
--Ken M.

http://mail.yahoo.com