Re: [Harp-L] some thoughts on the business of music

rainbowjimmy wrote:
> A lot of musicians don't make the bucks not because they're poor
> musicians but they're poor business people.

This could be said of any art or craft or trade or skill.  Just
because I'm a good harmonica customizer doesn't make me good at
running a harmonica customizing business.  It's a different set of
skills that are required to manage the books, handle the orders, do
whatever marketing can be done, etc.  There's always a part of the
business, whether it's music or something else, that you love, a
part that you hate.

To a certain extent the product is the business -- first you have to
make great music -- but it always comes down to business -- how do
you get people out to hear you.  Many performers expect the venues
to do the advertising for them, but this is a mistake.  The best
bands will have their own mailing lists and fan base that they can
keep informed of their performance schedule.  To a great extent,
venues prefer acts that have a following and will share the
advertising burden with them.

> Many musicians are both good musicians and good business people
> and they still don't make money. It's a tough racket to break
> into.

This is also VERY true.  You've got to want it really bad, AND
you've got to be lucky.

-tim

Tim Moyer
Working Man's Harps