[Harp-L] Sitting In Stories

My first time on stage was  sitting in.  I was in college in 1995 and saw my first live blues band.  They noticed me singing along to all the tunes, so the spoke to me on the break.  During the next set the harp player made me come onstage and play some.

  At the same club, I saw Bob Margolin  in early 1996.  I asked to sit in, and probably wasn't ready yet.  He was gracious, and it wasn't a disaster.  It was a huge rush to meet someone who'd known Muddy.

  Later that year, I met James Harman in Honolulu.  I asked him what Tongue Blocking was.  I ended up following him all over the club at the break before he finally gave me a lesson.  He just played some, pointed at his cheeks and told me that if you don't practice it everyday, it goes away. (TB-technique).

  The first time I sat in with Rod Piazza (after following him around and chatting him up for years...) he gave me a "D".    He said, "You did about 60% right, but cut out that fast stuff"  Six months later (July 2002) I got another chance.  Honey told me I did awesome.  Rod, when asked, just smiled and shook his head.  I took it as an "A".

  Dan G.