Re: [Harp-L] Musselwhite overblowing or alternate harptuning?

mOx wrote: << Charlie Musselwhite has been familiar with the basic techniques of
overblowing since the mid eighties. If you don't believe that ask, Ludo he
was listning in to the conversation.

True, I confess I was a witness; backstage at a boogie & bluesfestival in Cologne, Germany.
Apart from Charlie there was also a.o. Phil Wiggins listening bewilderd to Mox explaining and demonstrating overblowing (this was ofcourse years before Howard Levy was as well known as he is now).
I vaguely remember (it's more than 20 years ago) Charlie being interested and amused by the wild idea, but not to an extent that I thought he would pursue getting this then new technique down himself.

and Bobbie Giordano wrote: << I was emailing Charlie just last night on other stuff, so I
felt I'd pass on word of this discussion going on here.

That's great, thanks Bobbie.

<<< when playing at home or in a hotel room, he might "consciously make" himself "incorporate" the 6-hole overblow for fun.
He didn't say, however, whether he did or not play that overblow you
heard, Ludo, on Blues for Yesterday.  Perhaps he'll drop by and let us
know for sure. :)

I guess he's doing it só inconsciously nowadays then, that it slipped in the recording studio with him :-)

The Iceman wrote: <<< Charlie doesn't overblow on the gig to my knowledge. He also hasn't recorded using this technique to my knowledge (keep in mind I haven't heard his latest CD as yet).

Well, have a listen; it's there :-)

<< Lots of CD's have liner notes.
I just can't easily read that teeny tiny print anymore. This is part of the phenomenon known as "getting older".

I hear ya; for cd-liner notes I need my glasses AND a magnifying glass.

Ludo