[Harp-L] Jam Camp Report

Gindick's Jam Camp last weekend was a great experience.  How could it not
be, under the guidance of Jon, Richard Sleigh, Dennis Gruenling, and Mark
Wilson.  I though the camp was really well done, with lots of time for
playing (with feedback - no, not THAT kind of feedback - the constructive
critique kind) intermingled with small class instruction and 1-on-1
coaching.  We eased in with a big acoustic jam, got some of Jon's basics,
had a 1-on-1 with Dennis on vibrato and tongue techniques, then an electric
jam with good comments from the coaches.  Day 2 had for me 1) overviews of
the coaches' styles and approaches with them playing, 2) a jam with Dennis
giving a great approach to organizing which holes to use when, and we used
that to build solos in the jam, and 3) a big electric jam at night were we
stretched out our chops.  Day 3 found me in a jam with Richard where he had
us all doing comping to Got My Mojo behind the soloists - way cool - and
also had us doing some great exercises to improve our performance skills and
outlook.  Then came Jon who was excellent in leading an acoustic jam later
with more of a ballad feel.  These jams were small groups of about 6-10, so
plenty of chance to play and hear the coaches comments.  Wrapped up with us
all showing our new skills on stage in AJ's bar, backed by Dave Mulford and
the "Biscuits" blues band, who can make anyone sound great, they're so
tight.  The bewildered, non-camp bar patrons who stumbled into the show were
highly entertained.

I was very impressed with the structure put together to address a variety of
skill levels of the campers. Jon, Mark, Dennis, and Richard really were able
to provide not only something, but a lot, for everyone from rank beginner to
advanced intermediate.  There were often concurrent sessions going on and I
think Jon and the guys had the balance just about right, no small feat with
a wide range of skills.  I had to miss a repair seminar by Richard and a jam
with Dennis and Richard where (I heard) they had the campers trading 12's,
8's, and 4's - good stuff.  Looks like I'll have to go back!

I know there are several alternatives to this sort of thing, and I encourage
anyone to get to a Camp, Masterclass, SPAH, Blues Week, workshop, or
whatever, whenever they can.  I also know that Jam Camp is not a cheap
investment, but if you are looking to get out of a rut or elevate your
playing, this is one of the few, most effective, and damned-est fun ways to
do it. Check it out if you can.

Fred S