[Harp-L] re: Toots Hard-Bopper

Nate writes:

"I've got my eye on one of these and wonder how others using them have
found them. Pros? Cons? Which is better the wooden comb or plastic?"

There is no plastic combed Hard Bopper. I believe you can get one from some of the customizers, but it's not a standard model.

Given that and the good reviews of the Deluxe 270 (which is basically the same instrument as the HB) I'd suggest looking at the Deluxe 270 over the HB. It has a smoother mouthpiece than the standard, and most importantly compared to both the 270 and the Toots models a sealed wooden comb held in with screws. That means you can actually replace broken windsavers and do general maintenance over the years. It's worth a look.

If you look outside of Hohner, Hering makes a good range of 12-hole models--I don't remember what it's called now, but the acryllic combed one is nice (it was the "Charlie Mussellwhite" model at first). The windsavers tend to buzz significantly, but do get played in (they're a bad design, but not unworkable) but other than that I've found them to be quite good.

If you want something truly different I'd suggest the Hohner CX-12. It's one of the most radical harmonica designs ever, and works wonderfully. I don't like the cross-tuning, and the mouthpiece is too big for me, but I'd gladly live with the former if not for the later. Some people find the mouthpiece to be just right, others don't like it. Can't say till you try, really. There are days I wish that the mouthpiece was comfortable for me, as it's such a wonderful harmonica otherwise.

Really, I wouldn't recommend the Hard Bopper unless Hohner goes to the trouble of making a "Deluxe Hard Bopper" with the improvements they have made to the "Deluxe 270" incorporated into the HB. Otherwise, there isn't enough of a difference, IMO, to not just get the Deluxe 270 (assuming we are only considering these two instruments).

 ()()    JR "Bulldogge" Ross
()  ()   & Snuffy, too:)
`----'