Re: [Harp-L] Harp of Choice...

Short Answer: Hohner Special 20s

Real Answer:
I totally abuse harps in my band (on purpose) so I use mostly stock SP20s for that. I also have a couple of Suzuki Promasters which I love. To me the SPs are the best overall harp for me. I have a "blow and throw" attitude for harps when playing with the band because tweaking them every time they need it based on the abuse I give them would drive me nuts. If I need a harp in an emergency and go into a store that has several brands, I buy the SPs.

I also have a box of "back porch" MB harps which I use for solo playing at home or in acoustic settings. A couple of them are pre WW2 and they are my favorite harps of all.

I like Golden Melodys in the mid to low keys.

I don't like Lee Oskars' slightly brighter sound so I don't use them at all.

I like SOME of the Huangs too, but they sometimes have that God awful taste in them. The ones I kept are very responsive. The higher keys are too shrill for me though.

Customs:
I have only one, it is a Bob Meehan, and I love it.

I also have a an old Hohner 64 chrom that Mike Easton rebuit for me and I am convinced he is a living God as he turned that basket case into a really nice harp.