[Harp-L] harp of choice

Hi -
  Just thought I`d weigh in on this question. Someone previously described himself as "promiscuous" - using many different harps - I liked that description! I too have been on the quest for "the perfect harp" for years , so far with inconclusive results. Living overseas, away from "harp communities " in the USA and Europe, buying custom harps is not very practical for me , so I`ve contented myself with "stock" harps.
  As a begginner I favored "Tombo" (Lee Oskars) - I still recommend them to begginers, for their easy playability, naturally loud volume and durability. However, over the years I tired of the very bright tone, and have begun to prefer Hohner`s fatter, earthier sound - I like Marine Bands (although harder to play, it`s worth the effort, for that roots-blues feeling they give), Special 20s - an excellent harp on all counts - and even the "Big River" is a very good quality for what you pay. I have recently started trying "Golden Melody"s, and like them quite a bit. However, the different size of the mouth-piece takes some getting used to - at first, pucker blow bends on it were very difficult, but now I am growing used to it.
  I am also a big fan of the Hering vintage 1923 - a great wood-combed harp, like the Marine band, but better quality, and less of a struggle to play.
  I have recently heared lots of good things about Suzuki harps, but have`nt yet had the opportunity to try them
  Just my humble observations
  Dov Hammer
  www.dovhammer.com