Re: [Harp-L] I-Mic gallery -- And Andy Belvin search

At 05:11 AM 8/8/2006, lists@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:
Thanks for the plug; bobbie !

I haven't updated the gallery in a few months, and I have a few more I should put online. I'll try and do that soon !

Benoit

Quoting Bobbie Giordano <bogio@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>:

> Chris, I think this may be what you seek:
> http://harmonica.typepad.com/harmonica_ramblings/imic/index.html
>
> Cheers!
> Bobbie
>
> On 8/7/2006 10:23:40 PM, Christopher B (s5gv2@xxxxxxxxxxxx) wrote:
> > Somewhere in my wanderings online I remember seeing a site that had
> > photos of I-Mics http://www.planetharmonica.com/ph2/VE/TMI-micUK.htm
> > that people had made. As usual I forgot to bookmark it  and I can't
> > find it. If anyone knows of such a site I would like to know the url.

Anytime, Ben. I like to detour to that part of your site often. Always fun to see the disturbed and deviant minds of harp fanatics in action! ;)

BTW, regarding your other post about Andy Belvin, not much turns up that I can see either, but a ZABAsearch and Intelius find a few Virginia, USA listings on Andrew Belvin [age 40-41] and some California listings for an Andy and an Anderson Belvin [age 69]. WhitePages.com really only locates the Virginia Andy Belvin.

I thought there was a possibility the name on the "Inspiration" recording was a misspelling of a more common name like Blevin until I began finding more references to the "Travelin' Mood" tune and the "Belvin" spelling. But, that cut by that person is always where my dead ends came. Still, all those dead end leads are only in the States.

One interesting find, however, is an album you may want to check out with the intriguing title of "Dark Rhythm Hokus Pokus" on the Still label. Part of the blurb says "25 tracks of obscure of black rock 'n' roll, R&B and the occasional blues. Sound quality on some cuts is not the greatest but there are some hot tracks from Ronny Goode, Andy Belvin (a great version of James Wayne's Travelin' Mood)..." Quite a few interesting albums listed on that Roots & Rhythm website, in fact... for those of you seeking obscure recordings. Here's the link:
http://www.rootsandrhythm.com/roots/RANDB-DOOWOP/randb_still.htm

But, actually, I guess that may be where Milteau found Belvin's tune for the Inspiration CD in the first place! :) [And, I suspect you already knew that, Ben!] Ah, well... But, you have to wonder if Andy was perhaps related to Jesse Belvin, of California, who wrote and/or performed quite a few hit songs, including "Earth Angel", "Goodnight, My Love (Pleasant Dreams)" and "You Cheated". Jesse was a very R&B rising star, but died too soon of a tragic car crash.

Evidently, there is also a fairly accomplished country and bluegrass bass player, Andy Blevins of Marion, Virginia, but that's beginning to stretch the misspelling thing! ;) Finding him, however, did lead me to a few sites centering on bluegrass and related styles where I have been quite heartened by the increased inclusion of "harmonica" among the fiddles, banjos, guitars, etc. of those genres, including in the various festival competitions. It really is a good time for our instrument these days!

But, not for finding Andy Belvins, it seems... so, I've had to give up.
Sorry, Ben!

Bobbie