Re: [Harp-L] Bent overbends

Winslow writes:

All bent notes are "weaker" than non-bent notes because the reed is
vibrating a note that it wasn't built to sound, and it delivers less
amplitude because it's vibrating less efficiently.

Absent proof I'd say this doesn't match my experience. A quick check with a dB meter and a G Marine Band yielded mixed results. Lower notes with wider differences between the blow and draw seemed to be appreciably louder when bent vs unbent. As I moved up the scale initiating a bend definitely dropped the spl. Overblows were noticeably lower in level but that says more about my ability to overblow than anything else. I disregard this result because of my poor skills in this area. In a bend reeds are forced to make sound at a pitch they normally wouldn't sound at but it's not just the one reed. Unless someone has already done the experiment I'd call the above a theory. fjm