Re: Re: [Harp-L] Bent overbends - more than a theory

Winslow Yerxa wrote:
> Take a naked reedplate and stand in fromt of a mirror. Put your
> mouth on the reedplate and play one of the reeds that is facing
> the mirror. It will play as a draw reed or as an overblow reed.
>
> PLay it as a draw reed and bend the note down. YOu can see two
> things with the naked eye:
>
> 1. As the pitch goes down, the reed moves closer to the reedplate.
> The note stops when it gets too low.
>
> 2. As the pitch goes down, the amplitude of the vibration
> diminishes.

<snip>

> Now, in a dual reed bend, that is happening with two reeds, so
> there is a bit more sound reinforcement. But played at the same
> level of effort, bent notes will still be quieter than unbent.

I'm not sure this follows for a standard draw bend on the lower
notes of a dual-reed system.  We know that in that system, as the
pitch goes down the primary (closing) reed diminishes in amplitude
the participation of the secondary (opening) reed increases.  I
think this might qualify as more than "a bit more sound
reinforcement"; there are actually two reeds performing here.

Overbends differ in that the closing reed is effectively choked off,
and the opening reed sounds exclusively.  I can see how this single
reed operating farther from its native pitch (and therefore
operating less efficiently) might be capable of less amplitude than
the reed sounded "unbent".

-tim

Tim Moyer
Working Man's Slock